Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Thriller Annotation

 



Title: In a Dark, Dark Wood

Author: Ruth Ware

Genre: Thriller

Publication Date: 2015

Number of Pages: 308

Geographical Setting: Set in London and the countryside in Northumberland.

Time Period: present day, at least similar to the year it was published.

Series (If applicable): n/a


Plot Summary: Leonora, Leo, is a twenty-six-year-old crime writer who lives in a tiny flat in London. She receives an unexpected invitation to a hen party weekend to celebrate the engagement of a friend she hasn’t seen in ten years. After some hesitation and pact with another long lost friend, she decides to make the trip to the Northumberland countryside for the weekend. The event takes place down a long lane, in a glass house, out in the middle of a forest, with little to no cell reception. The party is made up a group of relative strangers who all have the bride in common. Each person is complex and not what they first appear, each has their own history with the bride, and each has their own reasons for being there.

The story alternates between a hospital setting and the events of the hen party. From the beginning it's clear that the party goes horribly wrong in some unknown way. The story keeps building with every new revelation about the characters, until the point where both the present and past storylines collide.

In our course readings for this week Saricks describes a thriller as a story that takes place in a short amount of time and a story that has a sense of menace throughout (2016, p.17). I think this book fits this description. The story takes place over a weekend and there is a sense of foreboding with the way the story begins with a nightmare flashback and then to a hospital room.

In another reading for this week the authors Wyatt and Saricks describe a thriller as fast paced, full of action and conflict and having a sense of danger throughout ( 2019, pp. 5-6). Given that Saricks was also the author in the reading mentioned above, it makes sense that their descriptions of what a thriller is would be similar. Both versions are representative of how this book is set up and how the story unfolds.  

Subject Headings:

Psychological fiction

Female Friendship fiction

  Appeal:

Here are some words from another reading from this week called “The Secret Language of Books, a Guide to Appeal” that I would use to describe the appeal of this book (Novelist, 2018).

This story would appeal to people who enjoy reading stories that:

  •          Have Strong female characters who are relatable.
  •          Are fast paced.
  •          atmospheric and a bit menacing

3 terms that best describe this book:

  • Character driven
  • Slow burn
  • Atmospheric

 

 Relevant Fiction Works and Authors

Author: Paula Hawkins

Book:  A Slow Fire Burning

Both authors write stories that are character driven and layered and have many twists and turns. This particular book focuses on three women and their relationships with a murdered man.

 

Author: Riley Sager

Book: The Last Time I Lied

Both authors write stories about how past secrets come back to haunt peoples’ present day lives. This book focuses on a group of friends, a mysterious disappearance from a summer camp and secrets revealed.

 

Author: B.A Paris

Book: The Dilemma

Both authors write stories about people who have secrets and how those secrets effect the people around them. This book focuses on a couple celebrating their 40th anniversary, but each has a secret that will change their lives forever.  

 

Relevant Non-Fiction Works and Authors

Author: Harold Schechter

Book: Hell's Princess: The Mystery of Belle Gunness, Butcher of Men

In a similar vein as Ware’s book, this one focuses on a woman and her secrets, in this case murder. There are many unexpected revelations and twists and turns.

 

Author: Emily Copley Eisenburg

Book: The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia

In a similar vein as Ware’s book, this story focuses on how one terrible event and the secrets around it can affect the lives of so many.


References

Novelist. (2018). The secret language of books, a guide to appeal. Ebscohost.

Saricks, J. (2016). At Leisure with Joyce Saricks. Booklist, 112(17), 17.

Wyatt, N., Saricks, J. (2019). The readers advisory guide to genre fiction. ALA Editions.


7 comments:

  1. Mary,
    How did you feel about this book? I've definitely liked some of the other books that Ruth Ware has written much better like The Woman in Cabin 10. I'm interested in why you chose this book/how you found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started choosing genres to read for this class, I asked some of my friends, who are also librarians, for their recommendations. This was one of the books they suggested for the Thriller category. I really enjoyed the book. I thought it had some interesting twists and turns and the characters were engaging. I've never read any other books by the author, but reading this one definitely makes me want to track down other titles she's written.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary,

    After reading Ruth Ware's The Turn of the Key, I have been interested in other books by her. The Turn of the Key had the most brilliant ending - a slow burn, indeed. I actually checked out In a Dark, Dark Wood a few years ago but never got a chance to read it. However, this book has been in the back of my mind for a while now. Based upon your review and answer to Kelsey's question, I might need to check out this book again and give it a try!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany -
      Just wanted to second In a Dark, Dark Wood as a recommendation, especially if you've considered it before. I know I really loved it when I read it myself.
      - Sydney

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary -
    I read In a Dark, Dark Wood a few months ago for my book club and I loved it, so I enjoyed reading your take on it for your annotation. In looking at your relevant fiction works, I noticed that you mentioned Paula Hawkins' A Slow Fire Burning, and I was actually considering reading that one for my thriller! Since you have it listed here, I will definitely be adding it to my TBR list as soon as possible. I also love Riley Sager and haven't read The Last Time I Lied yet, so I'll have to check that one out as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, this book sounds really interesting! I am all about the English countryside. A murder/accident/what-have-you occurring in said countryside is even better. Without knowing anything else about this book, I wonder if there is witchcraft involved!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your annotation! Your summary is fantastic and you do a great job outlining the appeals. I also loved that you described WHY each of the readalikes would appeal to those that liked this book. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt

Here are some ways that I think work really well to market a library's fiction collection: 1: Displays -I don't think we can underes...