Different publications review different types of books
and they allow different types of conversations. For example, Booklist will not
publish negative reviews, while, as you have all seen, Kirkus has no problems
with it (check out this savage review -
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/sebastia-alzamora/blood-crime/).
Ebook only books, which are increasingly popular (especially in the romance
genre) see little to no reviews in professional publications unless they have a
big name author. How does this affect collection development?
It is unfortunate that some books will be reviewed in review
journals, and some will not. There are so many books being published that it would
be difficult, if not impossible, to sift through them all for a review. I’m
sure there are plenty of worthy books that are overlooked in collection
development because they are not reviewed in popular review sources. This means
that library collections could be missing out on books that their community
would enjoy. The beauty of having different review sources who review different
materials means that a librarian will see a variety of materials and can assess
what to add to a library’s collection. Each review source having different
types of reviews they will publish, or not publish, also helps a librarian make
more informed collection development choices. This can be especially true when the
same item is reviewed in several different review sources.
I have posted two more documents in the week five files.
One is two reviews of an ebook only romantic suspense novel, one from a blog
and one from amazon. Look over the reviews - do you feel they are both
reliable? How likely would you be to buy this book for your library?
The blog post review of this title is a more polished review
and reminds me of reviews I come across in review journals. The Amazon review
of this title isn’t as polished, but it does go over the main plot of the book.
The reviews taken together paint a clearer picture of the books appeal. If I
worked at a library where these types of books were popular, I might be inclined
to purchase this book for the collection. This title has some hallmark vibes, which
can be popular with some readers.
The other document contains some reviews of Angela's
Ashes, by Frank McCourt, an incredibly popular memoir. These reviews are all
from professional publications, feel free to find more on your own I just
nabbed a few from the Book Review Digest database for you. How do these reviews
make you feel about the possibility of adding Angela's Ashes to your
collection?
All the reviews of this title paint it in a positive light
and make it appear to be a book that would be worthy of adding to a library’s
collection. The fact that three different review journals have positive reviews
of the title would make this book stand above other titles that may not be
receiving as positive of reviews. Here again, it would really depend on the
library’s community and it’s readers as to whether this book was added to the
collection. It would also depend on the library collection itself and if there
was a need for books on this subject matter.
Do you think it's fair that one type of book is reviewed
to death and other types of books get little to no coverage? How does this
affect a library's collection? And how
do you feel about review sources that won't print negative content? Do you
think that's appropriate? If you buy for your library, how often do you use
reviews to make your decisions? If not, how do you feel about reviews for
personal reading, and what are some of your favorite review sources?
I do think it’s unfortunate that some books will receive all the reviews and other will not. I’m sure there are books that a library and its readers are missing out on because the books have not been in the review journals a librarian reads. I think that review sources that won’t print negative content are doing librarians a disservice. There is no way for a librarian to read every book, so they must rely on review sources to make collection development decisions. If review sources are only printing positive things a librarian is missing out on crucial information. Each library and its readers are unique, and a librarian's goal is to curate a collection of books that readers want and need. I purchase books for the youth services department at my library and am a big proponent of review journals. They keep me informed of what’s being published and help me make decisions on what to add to our collection. To help combat some of the books that are missed in review journals I will look at Amazons best seller lists and their list of new books for various age categories. I also look at other lists of books that are curated on various websites like Bookriot. If I feel that a book review in a journal may be missing something I will go on Amazon and read a review from someone who hated the book. People that feel strongly about a book will often take the time to go into a lot of detail and this can help paint a clearer picture of the book.
Mary,
ReplyDeleteThe last part of your paragraph really resonated with me - "If I feel that a book review in a journal may be missing something I will go on Amazon and read a review from someone who hated the book. People that feel strongly about a book will often take the time to go into a lot of detail and this can help paint a clearer picture of the book." I think I'll have to remember this piece of advice if I'm ever in a position to do purchasing.
Hi Mary,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you that not printing negative reviews does librarians a disservice. There’s just no such thing as a work that is going to be liked by absolutely everyone, and if the only impression being communicated is a positive one, then it’s likely not an accurate one. Like you noted, librarians have very limited time, they can’t read everything. They need objective information to make decisions. Limiting “reviews” to only the positive is not actually reviewing (seems more like advocating to me), and it’s certainly not the sort of objective information that benefits librarians.
Hi Mary,
ReplyDeleteDo you feel that librarians should stay away from book journals are even reviews that only leave positive reviews and instead go with sources and reviewers that give out both good and bad reviews? I personal don't trust a reviewer that only has good reviews and never says anything bad about a book.
I do think there's value in review journals, even ones who only print positive reviews. Mainly, because it's so hard to stay on top of all the new books that come out. So, review journals are a good starting point. It would be great if reviews were more balanced.
DeleteGreat insight! Like your classmates said there is always something important to be found in negative reviews - we can't read all the reviews! Full points!
ReplyDelete